GlobalGiving Operations Team Fellow
GlobalGiving is seeking applicants to our Fellows Program to help further our mission and ambitious growth plans. Fellows will have a unique opportunity to learn how a thriving, international NGO operates through practical, hands-on experience with the nuts and bolts of our operations and ample opportunities to explore the broader field of development.
The program is a highly selective, full-time service year that will challenge and inspire you, and will require hard work and dedication. You will have the opportunity to explore various areas that interest you, so you can capitalize on your experience. You’ll be a vital contributor to our team—not getting coffee or filing papers all day long.
In return, we offer a $30,000 stipend, health and dental insurance, professional development funding, tons of learning opportunities, ample delicious goodies in our Free Food Spot, and an amazing experience!
Here’s a little taste of the kinds of experiences you might have as a GlobalGiving Fellow:
- Skill-building workshops and a speaker series to improve your understanding of international development, technology startups, social entrepreneurship, philanthropy, disaster response, and crowdfunding.
- Departmental rotations and shadowing opportunities with our executive leadership to learn about strategic planning and decision-making processes.
- In-depth research and analysis projects around a particular issue area.
- Training on experimentation, workflow, and querying tools such as Salesforce, Optimizely, MySQL, Metabase, and Desk.com.
- Career preparation and professional development, including mock interviews and resume review. Previous fellows have used their professional development funds to take coding classes and even learn French!
GlobalGiving’s mission is to transform aid and philanthropy to accelerate community-led change. We believe that good ideas come from anyone, at any time, or from anywhere, and we’re committed to supporting the people who have the best ideas about how to change their own communities.
As the world’s first global crowdfunding platform, in 2002 we set in motion a virtuous cycle of good. We work with nonprofits, individual donors and companies to enhance the effectiveness of locally driven organizations in hundreds of communities. To date, we have supported more than 18,964 projects with $318 million of funding from 747,996 donors across 170 countries around the world—and we’re still growing!
Fellowship Focus Areas
Operations Team Fellow
The Operations Team (or Ops for short) builds and services the backbone of GlobalGiving and ensures tens of millions of dollars are dispersed across the globe each year. We are a close-knit team responsible for the accounting, finance and human resource functions of the organization, as well as supporting business intelligence and overarching strategic planning at GlobalGiving.
If you’ve got an analytical mind, an eye for detail, and a knack for knowing when the right question is more important than the right answer, we can’t wait to hear from you. We’re especially looking forward to meeting candidates who are excited to pick up projects and run with them! The Operations Fellow will:
- Send money around the world. You’ll support the disbursement of over $40M dollars in funding to organizations around the world. You’ll connect with the leaders of our global nonprofit partners to ensure they receive their funds as quickly and easily as possible, so they can deploy them on the ground, whether in Albania or Zambia.
- Help us fight crime! You’ll collaborate with our Data Scientist to detect, process, and prevent fraudulent activity on our website.
- Let your geek out. You will use our data to identify and unpack key stories about GlobalGiving’s performance and share results via written reports and staff-wide presentations. You’ll help us understand where our systems and processes can be more efficient and contribute to finding creative solutions to make operations across the organization as effective as possible.
- Perform additional tasks to support management or team members on brand new ideas or ongoing projects. On any given day, you might get to probe the ins and outs of nonprofit finance, help our senior leadership team tackle some tough strategic questions, or even learn a new coding language.
Who We Are Looking For
While we offer four different areas of focus for our fellows, each requiring specific qualifications, our overall selection process for the program is rooted in our values-driven approach to work. We seek candidates who subscribe to our core values:
- Always Open: Believing that great ideas can come from anyone, anywhere, at any time; approachable and humble, demonstrating sincere appreciation for others and their ideas.
- Never Settle: Questioning the status quo wisely, and challenging self to achieve high goals and expectations.
- Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat: Demonstrating curiosity about the world around us, and bringing that curiosity into GlobalGiving; experimenting fruitfully, utilizing both success and failure productively; leveraging data and feedback to make better decisions.
- Committed to WOW: Embodying a spirit of service with customers (internal and external), and delighting in opportunities to interact with them.
In addition, candidates must:
- Be in the game. You are passionate about international development and onboard with GlobalGiving’s mission.
- Be an achiever. You can demonstrate standout achievement among your peers.
- Be adaptable. You perform well in changing environments, with a clear desire to do what it takes to improve and develop your skills.
- Be an effective collaborator. You proactively maintain relationships in ways that are mutually beneficial.
- Be a linear, yet creative thinker. You can accurately link cause and effect or correlation to generate relevant, innovative solutions to problems.
- Be able to execute. You set, track, and complete goals without the need for last-minute heroics. You anticipate possible delays and plan around them to maintain ownership and accountability for meeting objectives with high quality and timeliness.
DurationThe Fellows Program is a full-time work commitment that will begin June 1, 2018, and run through June 30, 2019.
Recent college graduates, career switchers, former interns, and anyone who has a passion for what we are doing is encouraged to apply! Applicants must have U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A stipend of $30,000, paid semi-monthly, will be offered over the course of the 13-month program. Our benefits package includes health and dental insurance, educational assistance, paid time off, professional development funds (up to $500 over the course of the program), access to our marketplace of discounts with companies, and commuter benefits.